Saturday, January 5, 2013

Breakfast: Blueberry pancakes

Once a week I try to make us all a yummy breakfast that doesn't involve toast or cereal. I don't always manage to fulfill this mission, but my kids really appreciate it (as does the husband), and it is another reason for us to sit down as a family and enjoy a meal together. More often than not this ends up being some variation on pancakes because:

a. I am not really an egg person, runny yolks make me dry retch!!!
b. They are my favourite.


Even better if you can coax some fruit or fibre into them. Today I decided to make blueberry pancakes as we had some in the freezer, but you can replace them with any fruit and you can also replace some of the normal flour with wholemeal if you want a fibre boost.

Blueberry pancakes

1 1/4 c flour
1/4 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1 c milk (add a squeeze of lemon juice if you have it)
1 egg
2 T butter, melted
1 c blueberries, or other fruit

1. Mix the dry ingredients together (this is a great job to involve your kids in, my almost 2 year old even loves to do this, even if it is a bit messy!)
2. Beat the egg into the milk.
3. Fold the dry ingredients, milk mixture, butter and blueberries together until all combined. Add more milk if it looks a bit thick.
4. Heat butter to coat a frying pan. Put large spoonfuls of the mixture into the frying pan.
5. Once the centre of the pancake is bubbling, turn it to cook on the other side.
6. Serve with fruit, maple syrup, yoghurt or cream or all of these!!!



This is how I had to make pancakes this morning, with Miss Ellie hanging off me as she wanted cuddles from Mummy and Mummy alone! 1 handed pancakes are hard to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment